Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What will you be having today? Small, MEDUIM, or Large?


Medium. It can be a size, a person speaking to the deceased, or the substance an artist uses to create their artwork.

Typically when I used to think of a medium, it would be in regards to what size I wanted of a Caramel Frapp! But lo and behold, that is not the only way a "medium" can be applied in this world. One of my "new" favorite mediums is that of Rafael Lozano-Hemmer. He used robotically controlled searchlights that can be manipulated by visitors over the internet called Vectorial Elevation. After looking at this I was completely captivated by his work so of course I just had to google/youtube him and his work. Below you will see an amazing piece of work where he uses the interaction of viewers to make his artwork come to life. He uses a various "mediums" that you will see below..can you see how many they are?


He uses people, lightbulbs, heartbeat sensors...what else?? Essentially he uses people's heartbeats to light up room and another person comes in does the same thing.. and it goes on and on. The way he structured it and the "mediums" he used to make it so interactive and you feel as if you are apart of his "artwork."

If I were to ever participate in his artwork I would have to explain to him that I needed to be given credit too because if it weren't for my pulse he would never have his functioning artwork! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment