So, as you previously read on my first amazing post was of I don't approve of the new modern types of artwork like Marcel Duchamp's work seen below.
How in the world is this supposed to be art??? In the book Art and Science NOW, has a quote that gives a little explanation...
I see a device in which the male specimen of this earth can use to relieve themselves when their bladders are completely full or better known as a Urinal. I understand the book's point, Duchamp is trying to break these cultural barriers laying the groundwork for more "innovative" works of art. Innovative is the KEY work here."At the same time, modern art challenged the solidity of objects, the sanctity of the single point of view, and conventional, non-relativistic concepts of time. Artists increasingly moved towards a reliance on abstract approaches in order to understand and represent the essence of reality." (Page 14)
So if that is what Duchamp was to be remembered by, by all means good luck to him. I am going to show you a video in which technology and art is making an incredible worldwide impact on earth. Printing real FUNCTIONING human organs!
If you are not feeling up to watching the whole thing, I will sum it up for you. These scientists (to me artists) used a printer... (yes those same machines you use to print out your last minute papers!) They used a normal printer and empty ink cartridges and filled them up with living cells. They "printed" a two chamber mouse heart. When they were finished, the heart was actually beating! Just imagine the possibilities of this type of "artwork!"
Personally, when you go to such great lengths to create a piece of work that has so much time, dedication, research, love, passion put into it. That is what art is. Can you just imagine how excited they must have been when they saw the beating heart?
By looking at Duchamp's piece I learned a lesson:
ART DOESN'T HAVE TO BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS TO IMPACT AND MAKE A POINT.
I honestly think that these scientists have made their point in the science/tech/art world!

No comments:
Post a Comment